Return to Play – December 31, 2021
UpdateALLIANCE Hockey has implemented a pause on external competition through to January 1, 2022.Partial intention of implementing the pause was to provide families with the opportunity to enjoy the holidaywithout the direct threat of spreading the virus due to contact from hockey. Additionally, many players/teams werein isolation due to positive cases/contacts.
(External play applies to all ALLIANCE Hockey scheduled Rep and MD League games. This includes all AAA, AA, MD
league or exhibition games and all Select exhibition games. Teams are permitted to utilize scheduled ice times for
ALLIANCE Hockey’s priority is to have kids on the ice to complete the season.
As long as Public Health and the Ministry allow for game play, we will be resuming participation in external play as
of January 2, 2022.
Once external competition resumes, games shall only be cancelled or rescheduled if a team cannot meet the
following minimum composition standards:
• U15 and Above Guidelines:
o 10 Skaters + 1 goalie
• U14 and Below Guidelines:
o 9 skaters + 1 goalie
NOTE: These numbers apply to Representative and MD Hockey ONLY. This is not applicable to House League.
• No affiliated players will be allowed at this time, but AP’s will be further reviewed in the coming days.
• Teams are not to commit to any new registration into Tournaments and Associations will not be allowed
to sanction any new tournaments. Please also refer to OHF Bulletin #21-067 Tournament Guidelines and
• U8 & U9 Divisions should follow the Hockey Canada Guidelines for half ice hockey.
If a team(s) are at the arena and the numbers outlined above cannot be met (i.e. injuries/suspensions occur during
game), the Hockey Canada Rule of 6 players constitutes a game is implemented: Section #2, Teams, Situation 3
INFORMATION BULLETIN ALLIANCE HOCKEY
71 Albert Street
Stratford, Ontario N5A 3K2
Tel (519) 273-7209
Fax (519) 273-2114
SITUATION 7 Rule 2.5 (d) Where a team is unable to place the exact number of players on the ice to which they are
entitled whether due to penalties or injuries, the Referee shall suspend the game and report this incident to the
President. ALLIANCE Hockey rules state that 30 minutes constitutes a game. (page 18)
Hockey Canada Rule 10.14 Refusing to Start Play
The penalty for refusing to Start Play is severe and may result in a 1-year suspension. Every effort needs to be taken
to avoid Refusal to Start Play coaches on both teams must work with the officials to avoid unsafe play. A decision to
stop play must be agreed upon by all parties. If such a decision is made, teams should utilize the ice and provide
opportunity for participants to play in a controlled environment that is safe and provides quality player experience
for both teams, suggestion even up teams and continue to play.
Rationale for Implementation of Defined Team Composition:
• To commit to playing games and getting players back on the ice during these uncertain times.
• To define exact numbers for Member Association teams and eliminate inquiries to Ice Schedulers and
Member Association Administration.
It is imperative that everyone continue to follow the COVID-19 precautionary guidelines which include:
• Honestly answer screening questions. Do not attend hockey if you have any new or worsening symptoms.
• IF IN DOUBT, SIT OUT!
• Wear face covering when in facilities. Participants are required to wear masks in the dressing rooms until
they are ready to go on the ice with their helmets on.
• Please protect yourself, your family, and your community by socially distancing from anyone outside of
• Wash your hands often.