Presented by Former Sarnia Sting Assistant Coach – Derek Di Muzio
Where: Progressive Auto Sales Arena in Sarnia (Rink 2)
Cost: $250 for the week
When: July 17 th to the 21 st on ice from 10-11 am each day that week
Daily On-Demand Learning emails will be sent to the athletes to help educate and reinforce the target skill areas. The learning modules will also focus on developing mental skills for athletes so they can use the skills to help their game and provide strategies for mental health for everyday life.
- Power Skating and edge work techniques
- Stick handling, Passing, and receiving passes in stride
- Creating time and space off a cycle (e.g., cutbacks, playing off the opponent’s hip)
- Catching rims off the boards
- Pre-touch skills (what to do before a player touches the puck)
- Understanding shot selection, and using the right shot
- Scoring techniques (Reading time and space, creating secondary scoring opportunities through puck placement, learning about 'the shooters eye' where to shoot the puck)
- Offensive zone scoring techniques based on statistics (‘the anatomy of a goal’)
- Concept of ‘Shooting for the shift’ – keep pucks alive and create second chance opportunities
- Movement and shooting techniques to increase offensive opportunities
- How to create offense off the rush (2 on 1, 3 on 2)
- How to win 1 on 1's (e.g., press the D and use Crossover Acceleration)
- Overspeed practice techniques for stick handling and skating.
- The value of hiding your shot release and not over handling the puck
- Scoring techniques, and small area skills to assist in this area
About the Instructor:
Derek Di Muzio has had numerous coaching experiences from minor hockey to the OHL. He was an Assistant Coach with the Sarnia Sting. He has also been a Head Coach for the Sarnia Legionnaires, the Mooretown Flags. Derek has also coached at the Ontario U15 and U17 level. As part of his role with the Sting, he was a skills development coach and helped develop NHL stars like Alex Galchenyuk, and Nail Yakupov. Derek has a passion for seeing young players develop and learn strategies/techniques that help provide good game habits to these young players.
The number of participants will be limited to allow maximum puck touches and repetition (which is how players acquire skills).
To register, please contact Derek Di Muzio at b[email protected] or call/text his cell phone: 519-330-0877.